We tried our hand at the Ardex counter tops.
I found the most lovely shade of purple for our bathroom, but the vanity left something to be desired. I found it took away from the notions I had about the color on the walls. So, what was I going to do about it?
A simple search about how to update counters inexpensively led me to the idea of refinishing them with concrete. So, I jumped in.
I began by sanding the counter top. I mixed up a small amount of the concrete, and spread it on the counter. I’m going to be honest, I panicked a little.
When it dried, I sanded again and put a second coat on. At that point, it was starting to look a little more normal. I was still unconvinced and my anxiety had me believing I had made a terribly messy mistake. Then, back to sanding.
I found that the best way to apply the concrete was with my hands. Especially for the back-splash, I had the best control of the application when I used my fingers. I chose not to sand as much as some others did. I liked the character in the discoloration of the concrete.
After letting the concrete dry for 6 days, we sealed the counter with two coats of 511 Impregnator sealer, and three coats of Polycrylic Protective Finish in satin, with a full day of dry time between each coat. Although I had my doubts, it’s waterproof!
The project was time consuming, and somewhat of an inconvenience because it eliminated a bathroom from our house for over a week. But definitely worthwhile! Although it looks rough, it feels smooth to the touch.
I slapped some paint on the cabinets, and it’s like a whole new bathroom. We’ve been loving it! Next, we will be doing the same thing to our kitchen!